- Frequency: >13 Hz
- Normal in frontal en central area
- Increase of beta due to medication: benzodiazepines, barbiturates and other sedative medications
- Decreased focal beta activity is seen in cortical dysfunction, for instance infarction, abces, tumor, AVM etc.
- Increased focal beta activity could be caused by cortical dysplasia, however sometimes also due to abces, tumor, AVM etc
- Skull defects can cause focal, high amplitude, sharp beta activity (Breach rhythm)
Beta rhythm in a young adult using a lot of benzodiazepines (double banana)